Book Video Consultation

Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Cardiologist on Fear Of Getting Heart Disease Genetically.

person-avatar

Asking For Self, Male 26, peshawar

A.o.A my mother had chest pain episode multiple time ( 47 yrs old) , we went for a Cardiology consultation about 1 month ago and he advised angiography which had shown LAD: Mid 70-80% disease along with RCA proximal to mid 50-60% disease. stent has been deployed in LAD, while putted her on Plavix, ascord, concor & statin 10mg. now still she having pain sometime not that severe but yes pain is not subside yet completely. now we all family members in very stress regarding her health as well as being face the same issue in future as genetically, no any other co-morbidity in family, while all family members are very slim as well, i mean there is no such issue of obesity etc, no DM, no HTN. so what I'm trying to ask is that how much chance is there to be a victim of this disease in future including me and my siblings? thank you and sorry for such a long post.

Cardiologist in Karachi - Dr. Arslan Soneel

Dr. Arslan Soneel - Cardiologist

MBBS , FCPS (Cardiology) | Karachi

review-stars

6 Positive Reviews

as your mother has cardiac disease at age of 47 so this is premature coronary artery disease so u have a genetic tendency of having it at an earlier age
but with dietery and life style modifications u can prevent it
what is the status of cholestrol in your mother's history? does she have dyslipidemia?

Post Owner

yes sir she having dyslipidemia.

2 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Though there is a possibility of genetic predisposition however coronary disease of the heart is more a disease of life style in which stress plays as much an important role as does weight. Also what you eat, how active you are will also contribute. Though the genetic predisposition is difficult to address, the modifiable risk factors does significantly decrease the risk in long term and prolongs life. For further advise and detailed discussion please do not hesitate to call. I provide services both at Peshawar and Islamabad.

Post Owner

ok Sir JazaKAllah!

2 years ago

Cardiologist in Islamabad - Dr. Nayyar Arif

Dr. Nayyar Arif - Cardiologist

MBBS , FCPS (Cardiology) , | Islamabad

review-stars

17 Positive Reviews

in 47 years age females it's has genetic predisposition, if she still has same pain which she had earlier , than we can increase the dose of concor ,
ofcours there is increase chance of heart disease in siblings . you can however decrease the chances with life style modification.
that is increase intake of fruits and vegs, at least 150 min of exercise weakly, ideal BMI < 25, avoid smoking, decrease saturated fat intake

Post Owner

thanks you Sir.

2 years ago

Cardiologist in Karachi - Dr. Muhammad Zohaib

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib - Cardiologist

MBBS , FCPS ( Cardiologist ) Training Complete | Karachi

review-stars

3 Positive Reviews

Thanks for the query sir

Feeling sad for your mother as she had angioplasty relatively at young age.

Regarding her recurrent chest pain despite stent placement, causes can be many such as:

i. Disease in RCA which is visually 50-60% but functionally may be more severe.
ii. Complication during stent placement such as damage to artery while deploying stent.
iii. Pre existing disease in the micro vessels of heart which are not visible during conventional angiography.

What can be done to treat pain?

Increasing the dose of medicine(s) to keep heart rate in lower normal range.
Second line medicines can be added to reduce pain.
If not relieved by these measures, myocardial perfusion imaging can be done to quantify the extent and severity of disease and further plan regarding angioplasty accordingly.

Regarding risk in family members?

Yes, she had cardiac issue at young age so this is a risk factor for relatives especially 1st degrees. It is advised to have fasting lipid profile in first degree relatives and if found normal then further tests can be advised.

Cardiovascular disease is a major cause of death in western countries and now even in our part of the world. Every effort should be done to prevent it and treat it if it occurs.

Preventive measures include:

Exercise, consumption of Mediterranean diet, maintaining healthy BMI (18.5-22.9) and waist circumference (upper limit 80cms for females, 90cms for males), control of other risk factors such as diabetes, Hypertension, smoking cessation, stress management and adequate sleep.

Post Owner

Thank you Sir for this detail answer.
Sir and what is the life span of a stent?
i mean for how log does this work & chances of restenosis?

2 years ago

Cardiologist in Peshawar - Asst. Prof. Dr. Ikram Ullah

Asst. Prof. Dr. Ikram Ullah - Cardiologist

MBBS, FCPS (Cardiology) | Peshawar

review-stars

6 Positive Reviews

U frm peshawar..Its beter to visit me.we can discuss both of ur issues n detail

Post Owner

Ok Sir i Will consult with You InshaAllah. Thank you

2 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online