Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Pediatrician on Newborn Injections

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 29 years old, Karachi

Hello, my baby is 7 days old and was in incubator for 2 days after birth because of his sugar level being low. Before getting discharged doctor asked for these injections,please tell me what are these for? My baby is absolutely fine. Are these injections necessary?

Member of Marham-Forum

It is better to ask this question from a doctor who prescribed it bcz he knows the real condition of at that time Generally it is antibiotics to cnotrol the infection

Member of Marham-Forum

In newborns if there is element of infection these antibiotics have to be given till the Blood culture shows no bacteria in it. so you have to continue till Blood culture report is negative

Pediatrician in Karachi - Dr. Aisha Mansoor

Dr. Aisha Mansoor - Pediatrician

MBBS, MCPS (Pediatrics) | Karachi

review-stars

16 Positive Reviews

i think my colleagues have given your answer but for your satisfaction these are Antibiotics injections to control infection ,if your baby is fine taking feed ,no fever ,u can ask your doctor to stop these and finally if blood c/s was sent ? in layman language koi 7 days wala test gya tha jis ki report awaited he to us ka wait karen .if that report comes negative than stop antibiotics .

Post Owner

My baby is doing absolutely fine. Never had any fever.. that's why I am concerned. Can you check the reports???

3 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Here are the reports

Post Owner

CRP report

3 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Can you check the reports again pls???

Pediatrician in Karachi - Dr. Aisha Mansoor
Dr. Aisha Mansoor - Pediatrician

MBBS, MCPS (Pediatrics) | Karachi | Book Appointment

review-stars 16 Positive Reviews

report seems to be normal but there is no CRP

3 years ago

Pediatrician in Sargodha - Dr. Muhammad Bilal Sharif

Dr. Muhammad Bilal Sharif - Pediatrician

MBBS , MD Pediatrics | Sargodha

review-stars

30 Positive Reviews

Hi...
These are antibiotics, injectable form.
Purpose of prescription of antibiotics could be various. I can share few.
1. Since baby,s immune system is very immature at birth and he is prone to infections so most pediatricians prescribe antibiotics prophylactically for few days.
2. If baby have few day of hospital admission, antibiotics are prescribed because most of our nurseries (not All) are not hygienic and baby might get some infection from there.

In my opinion if baby is perfectly well, having no fever, and taking feeds well then you can stop antibiotics after your pediatrician,s permission...
Hope it Helps...

Pediatrician in Layyah - Dr. Muhammad Afzal Khan

Dr. Muhammad Afzal Khan - Pediatrician

MBBS, MRCPCH II, MCPS | Layyah

review-stars

4 Positive Reviews

Is it possible to upload the Discharge Summary with all the lab results? Low blood sugar can be due to blood poisoning due to germs or Neonatal Sepsis. If this diagnosis was made, antibiotics need to be continued at least until the blood culture and sensitivity report comes out to be normal or as long as the neonatologist advised.

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Pediatrician

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories