Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Pediatrician on Viral Infection

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 2 years old, Rawalpindi

Respected paediatricians! My daughter is 2.3 years old. From the last 3 months she gets flu n cough after every couple of weeks, accompanied with high fever. The last month we gave her azithromycin by a gap of one week as recommended by a renowned doctor of shifa international hospital. She has low hb of 9.8 as well. We also had her flu shots. But after an exact one month of the first se of flu shot she caught svere flu n cough with high fever. Now the same course of medicine is being followed by an anti allergent. This time she has stopped eating anything. Now what to do. I am highly against antibiotics for kidds. She has gone so week that now she cant even sit for long. The fever isn’t completely gone. She gets fever for once in a day. I am utterly worried. Kindly help me out with authentic suggestions.

Pediatrician in Lahore - Dr. Rabia Haq

Dr. Rabia Haq - Pediatrician

MBBS, FCPS (Paediatrics) | Lahore

first of all 6-8 episodes of common cold per year is acceptable in this age group ( kids attending daycare / nursery can have as much as 12 episode per year ).every episode isn't bacterial so antibiotics are not required frequently.flue and cold can even occur after flu shot ( as flu shot is protective against the deadliest virus of the season ) there are many viruses which can still cause flu.
your kid Hb is less then expected for this age.iron rich diet and supplements are required .for fever ,get kid examined and basic blood tests .

Pediatrician in Islamabad - Dr. Intisar Ul Haq

Dr. Intisar Ul Haq - Pediatrician

MBBS, FRCPCH(UK), MRCPCH(UK), MRCP(Ireland), CCT Paediatrics(UK) | Islamabad

review-stars

2 Positive Reviews

Up the age of 5-7 years, children are prone to very frequent viral infections, mainly affected ear, nose or throat. These are called as "common colds".

Flue is totally different infection and vaccination against it does not prevent common colds.

Around 10-12 viral infections in a year are pretty much common and expected. Kids generally recover from these in couple of weeks without any serious complications. There is NO role of antibiotics in a viral infection.

However, if a child suffers from recurrent BACTERIAL infection, then he/she needs a thorough clinical assessment along with some tests to get to the bottom of underlying cause.

In your child's case, it sounds very much like a typical viral infection.

If her Hb is low, or she struggles to breath or refuses to eat/drink more than half of her usual intake then MUST see a qualified Paediatrician.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Pediatrician

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories