Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Urologist on Urinary Tract Infection

person-avatar

Asking For Sister, Female 20, Karachi

Hi, my sister is having severe bilateral lumbar pain for 3-4 days radiating to the legs ,dysuria, burning micturition and a whitish urethral discharge. We got her Urine C/S ( awaited) and D/R done. Can any urologist please help in this regard. Should antibiotics be started right away or should we wait for the culture reports. Can you please suggest any treatment. Thank you!

Urologist in Multan - Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Waqas Khan

Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Waqas Khan - Urologist

MBBS, MCPS (General Surgery), FCPS (Urology), FRCS (Urology), FACS (USA) | Multan

review-stars

828 Positive Reviews

plz take online video consultation.thank
https://www.marham.pk/doctors/multan/urologist/dr-muhammad-waqas-khan

Urologist in Karachi - Asst. Prof. Dr. Fakhir Yousuf

Asst. Prof. Dr. Fakhir Yousuf - Urologist

MBBS, MRCS (General Surgery), MRCS (General Surgery), GMC FCPS (Urology) | Karachi

review-stars

92 Positive Reviews

Asalamo alaikum... Your statement reflects that you have a medical background. Empirical antibiotics can be prescribed if symptoms severe enough. You can surely come for assessment with ultrasound KUB as well. Mind you, lumbar pain may be muscular spasm as well. In the light of current symptoms fosfomycin or quinolone will be a good option with good hydration.

Jazakallah khair

Post Owner

Thank you so much doctor, yes I am a med student. I've given her cranberry satchets and advised increased water intake and got her urine D/R and C/S done. She has taken Ciproxin (250mg) in the past multiple times but the condition recurrs after few months. Empirical antibiotics thing was in my mind but wasn't sure about doses. Can you please tell the doses of the drugs you mentioned?

3 years ago

MBBS, MRCS (General Surgery), MRCS (General Surgery), GMC FCPS (Urology) | Karachi | Book Appointment

review-stars 92 Positive Reviews

For adult cipro is 500mg bd for 5 days. Cranberry extract is not too much of help. Better switch to tan genurin forte tds for 3 days. Woemn tens to have more uti for specific reasons. Will discuss in opd.

Jazakallah khair

3 years ago

Post Owner

Sorry, she took cipro 500 mg in the past too. Should I give the same drug for 5 days until C/S results are there?

3 years ago

MBBS, MRCS (General Surgery), MRCS (General Surgery), GMC FCPS (Urology) | Karachi | Book Appointment

review-stars 92 Positive Reviews

Sure

3 years ago

Post Owner

thank you much doctor for the help!

3 years ago

Urologist in Bahawalpur - Asst. Prof. Dr. Asra Aleem

Asst. Prof. Dr. Asra Aleem - Urologist

MBBS (Gold Medalist), FCPS | Bahawalpur

review-stars

76 Positive Reviews

In young unmarried females recurrent UTIs are comparatively uncommon as compared to married females. How much frequent is she having recurrent episodes? and did she improve after taking Cipro? Was urine culture done after stopping all antibiotics?

MBBS (Gold Medalist), FCPS | Bahawalpur | Book Appointment

review-stars 76 Positive Reviews

plus there are certain factors which increase UTI tendency in young females which can't be discussed here.

3 years ago

Post Owner

yes she does improve but also kind of non-compliant and last time she had pain and dysuria in june and no cultures were not repeated after stopping antibiotics

3 years ago

MBBS (Gold Medalist), FCPS | Bahawalpur | Book Appointment

review-stars 76 Positive Reviews

That was the 1st episode in june? or she was having recurrent UTIs previously as well? If she has already taken Cipro...better to wait for culture and sensitivity and then start antibiotic. Start tab. genurin forte BD and cranmax sachet BD. And i'll again say there are certain other factors in females for recurrent UTIs...better to consult online to explain those precautions.

3 years ago

Post Owner

No, it was the second episode. Also she has known Psychiatric disorders (conversion disorder, anxiety, depression, BDD) and she usually gets these complains when she experiences an attack of conversion disorder. At that time she lays in bed most of the time, her whole body sores and hardly passes urine once or twice a day and unable to take proper care of her hygiene.

3 years ago

General Physician in Faisalabad - Dr. Shahid Iqbal

Dr. Shahid Iqbal - General Physician

MBBS, FCPS-I | Faisalabad

review-stars

2 Positive Reviews

tab septran ds 1tab twice a day
tab genurin forte 200 mg 1 tab bd
plenty of fluids
ct kub (plain)

Post Owner

for how many days?